Sunday, January 23, 2011

Electrolytes

“Electrolytes, what plants crave.”

This quote comes from the movie Idiocracy. It comes from a discussion that is flawed cyclical logic. The quote is appropriate for the first week of school.

We don’t have a schedule (called a time table here) because not all the learners are registered, the learners can’t register until their school fees are paid, they can’t pay school fees until the school opens, the school opens on the first day of school, where there is no schedule because the learners haven’t registered.

Anyhow that’s enough complaining for now. It will all get sorted out within a week or two. Until then I play the piano, read my textbooks, look for experiments I can do without chemicals, and work on getting the school internet. Getting the school internet has been successful so far. I went with my head of department (HOD) and vice principal to the store and talked to them about school options and government stipends for internet. Within a week or two the school will have internet and I will no longer need to get up at 4am to use it for free. I went to Gobabis a few weeks ago. Its 200km east of Windhoek and is one of the more beautiful areas I have seen so far. I forgot my camera and it’s still not working very well so there are no pictures of the journey. I’ve started a exercising everyday and convinced my vice principal to ride his bike to school with me, about 4km on dirt roads.

It’s been raining nearly every day around three in the afternoon. It reminds me of Florida in the summer time. My host mom’s Birthday was the 22nd and I made cookies for her. I found out that the cookie recipe in my Peace Corps cook book isn’t very good and needed modification. But like a true scientist I experimented until I came out with good cookies and the family was very impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment