Saturday, May 21, 2011

The start of term 2

School “started” back up last Monday. My school has a serious problem with learners taking extra vacation days. The first three days of school we didn’t change classes but instead just took roll. Out of my class of 25 we only had 13 learners. I also spoke with my head of department; I am no longer a register teacher for my fifth graders. Peace Corps doesn’t want us to be register teachers because they are supposed to follow the learners through several years of school. We can, at most, follow the learners for two years. He also changed my entire schedule by giving my favorite class (tenth grade math and physical science) to the other teachers and giving me another grade eight math class.
The other big news is that a World Teach volunteer is coming to my school to help out in the computer lab for three months. The World Teach volunteer will also be staying in the spare bedroom in my flat. I’m excited to have a little more company. It is highly recommended that Peace Corps volunteers don’t go out at night due to the statistically higher probability of being robbed. It’s winter now so by 5:30pm I have to be in my flat. Essentially I have no life and go to bed around 9pm. Also, it’s really cold at night. Every night is probably in the 30’s or 40’s and my flat has no heater or insulation. It’s not a problem because I have a nice sleeping bag. The problem comes in trying to get up at 530am while simultaneously trying to stay in my nice warm sleeping bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment