Sunday, October 17, 2010

Officially a Volunteer

This past Tuesday was our language proficiency test. I scored intermediate high which is a pretty good score. I’ve become a lot better at understanding Afrikaans but when I try to speak it my accent is terrible. I’m going to get a language tutor and keep working on it so I can become fluent. Friday was swearing in day and it was a lot like graduation. There were education ministers, Peace Corps directors, but the ambassador to Namibia was not able to make it though they had a representative from the ambassador’s office. There were speeches and it was a relatively uneventful ceremony. The best part was the Okahandja Children’s Choir singing. They were phenomenal. After the ceremony I said a few quick “see you laters” and left with my supervisor, who is now my new host father.

On Saturday in Rehoboth (my new city) I met up with Debbie (group 29 health volunteer) Maureen and Ricky (group 31 health volunteers) who are all stationed in Rehoboth. I also met Emily who is in the Cavongo region, another group 31 volunteer. We talked and ate most of the evening before Ricky and I walked back to block D and departed ways. In six weeks I will be leaving my second homestay in block D and moving into a two bedroom flat at the teacher resource center (TRC).

No comments:

Post a Comment