Sunday, October 3, 2010

Saturday Adventure

On Saturday I was walking with some other PCTs into town from our suburb. My tiny dog that I affectionately refer to as “shit-kicker” (real name kiff) decided it would not only be a good idea to follow the group along the highway, but it would also be a good idea to chase cars and play in the middle of the highway. As a scientist I am for natural selection, the group I was walking with was not. So after two or three close misses it is determined that I will pick up the dog and place him in my backpack Paris Hilton style. We walked to town, all around town, and back, with the dog in my backpack. Yes it was very adorable and pictures will be posted at some point. The best part of the entire journey was the reaction of the Namibians to this random white person carrying a dog in his backpack. The reactions ranged from talking about it in their mother tongue to opening pointing and laughing at me. It was a good time overall.

The human body never ceases to amaze me in its ability to adapt to a change in environment. When I first arrived in Africa, the dryness of the desert caused many problems from skin irritation to nose bleeds. Now after 6 weeks here I no longer have any of those problems that I initially had. My hands are more calloused and I walk barefoot over rocks without any real problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment