Monday, June 27, 2011

it goes

So my roommate showed up a few weeks ago and she’s pretty cool. After living alone for several weeks it feels weird having someone else around sometimes. I can’t play my music as loud as possible anymore or walk around naked. Not that I would actually want to, it’s freezing, but still it’s nice to have the option. My puppy should be arriving this Friday and I think I’ve decided on the name my friend Martin gave me, “Ernest Rufferford”. This is a play on Ernest Rutherford the famous chemist/physicist who theorized about neutrons.
Last weekend we had Christmas in June in Mariental. Almost 20 volunteers got together to eat chicken, stuffing, macaroni and cheese, and egg nog. We had a gift exchange that was entertaining with everyone going for different types of gifts. Some people gave funny, others gave useful, and other just gave the universal gift of alcohol. This coming weekend I’m going to Gobabis for a Fourth of July Bar-B-Que. Here in Namibia a BBQ is often called a braai but because it’s Fourth of July we are making hamburgers and having a BBQ.
As far as school goes I’m working on a secondary project because my teaching load has been lightened by Mitra (the roommate/other volunteer) which is taking some time to get off the ground. We are having a entrepreneurship day/HIV awareness carnival. My job is to make sure each class has an item to sell and collects $N500. My garden hasn’t been able to take off the ground yet and has suffered another delay because of poor timing. Many of my weekends are full and same with my counterpart Mrs. Pretorius. I think in August we will start clearing the space and in September or October we will start planting. We want to plant before rainy season but not so early that there is no water and everything dies. So far I’m just playing it by ear.

Ps mmmm… bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment