Thursday, July 7, 2011

Still waiting for a puppy

I didn’t make it to Gobabis for the Fourth of July BBQ and I didn’t get my puppy this past weekend either. I actually skipped the BBQ so I could get the puppy and then the car that had my puppy broke down on the way from Keetmansoop. I ended up going to Dr. Lemmer High School’s entrepreneurship day and rugby game to see if I could get any ideas for my own. The thing that was most noticeable was the income disparity between my school and their school. Most of the teachers here want to sell cakes, sweets, and other food items. When I went to Dr. Lemmer they had professionally made cakes donated from local bakers. My school can’t get any food donated to it. They also had an inflatable slip and slide which I thought was awesome, though I decided it was too cold for it. While at the entrepreneurship day I ran across some Americans who were working at Oanob Primary School. They were missionaries from California and invited me to a braai on Tuesday. Some of them went home Wednesday and another group is showing up Friday. Most of them will be here for about a month working at the school and helping out with various church functions. The group is comprised of mostly high school students and early college students. It was good talking to them and sharing some of my wilder stories about school and traveling.
Last Friday I went with the grade 10 classes to Windhoek on a field trip to show them that the world is greater than just the town of Rehoboth. For many of them it was their fired time to Windhoek. The trip was an overall success with only a few minor delays and setbacks. We went to Hero’s Acre, The State House, Parliament, NamWater, University of Namibia (UNAM) and then ice cream. I was not allowed in The State House due to the fact that I am not a Namibian citizen. My favorite place was NamWater the water utility for Namibia. They were exceptionally kind donating 10 computers to the school and giving food to all the learners and teachers. They also offered me a job when I made an offhand remark about having a degree in chemistry and looking for a job. I don’t plan on taking it, but still, it was nice to get the offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment