Wednesday, September 29, 2010

This is getting interesting

Thursday Sept 23rd I leave Okahandja with my Head of Department Harry. We first travel to Windhoek to pick up his mother in law and then drive on to Rehoboth. Once in Rehoboth a Braai (BBQ) is waiting for me (complete with beer) thrown by some of my colleagues. I practice the little Afrikaans I can speak only to find out that the school I will be teaching at (Vooruitsig junior secondary school) mostly speaks Khoekhoegowab (KKG) better known as the African click language. I am suppose to stay with a fellow teacher near the school but it is determined that there is not sufficient bedding for me and I am taken back to Harry’s house. There is now debate over where I will live, more to come on that later.

Friday I leave for school with Harry and his wife. Upon arrival we go to the staff meeting where I am introduced to the people I didn’t meet the previous night. My surname is changed to “Nieberger” because Neiberger literally translates to “Fuck Mountain(eer)” in Afrikaans. I attend the Friday morning assembly where I am introduced to the students. They stare at me. I am taken to every class to personally speak to each teacher. It becomes apparent that five teachers are absent and another three (and the principal) left early for the day. A fight breaks out among the unruly children with no supervision. It is broken up by one of the teachers. School closes early due to the lack of teachers. I go back to Harry’s house and nothing of an excitement happens there.

Saturday I meet with the two other PCVs in Rehoboth, Ricky and Maureen, who are really nice and show me around town. I buy a few things for the family and head back. I meet the rest of the immediate family, Janice (15), Jaime (19) and Harry (who goes by Jodie 22). There is a Braai waiting for Jaime and Jodie because they are home from Windhoek where they both attend the University of Namibia. I meet an exceptionally drunk white Angolan who attempts to speak Portuguese to me, it fails. He speaks Afrikaans, it too fails. Finally English, it fails as well. I gave up trying to speak with him. I then shoot pool with Harry, Ricky, and some of the other people whom I hardly know. I go to bed around 10pm; I’m exhausted because I get up around 4am.

Sunday everyone sleeps late and relaxes. I talk a little with the family but mostly read and watch rugby and cricket. Coincidentally cricket is the most ungodly boring creation I have ever watched. Jodie and Jaime go back to Windhoek.

Monday I wake and go to school with Harry. At the morning staff meeting I see several new faces that I have never seen before. The staff sings a few hymns in KKG. I never knew clicks could be sung. I observe mathematics and physical science classes on my first day. The learners stare at me. They are noticeably distracted. I speak with my vice principal about the states and the difference in culture between the States and Namibia. I also tell him I’m from Miami because no one knows where Gainesville or Jacksonville is, but everyone knows Miami. I have a meeting with my Inspector over my permanent housing, a two bedroom flat. She argues that I am only one person and only need a one bedroom flat. Harry and I argue that I need two bedrooms for the other volunteers who do their shopping in Rehoboth and need a place to stay. It is later discovered she lives in the two bedroom flat and doesn’t want to leave. She is not supposed to be living there. I show my Peace Corps papers saying I get the two bedroom flat and potentially make my first enemy in Rehoboth.

Tuesday repeats similarly to Monday. I observed some classes and this time I talked to the principal. The main exception was Caitlin (PCV) and her principal Ivan came so we could hike out to Okahandja. Hike out is Namblish for getting a ride in a taxi, combi (van), or someone’s private car. Caitlin and I tried stories about our experiences and what we think of our bosses.

Wednesday we hike out and I write this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment